Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I have come as light to the world

John 12:44-50

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And he who sees me sees him who sent me. I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. If any one hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has bidden me."

----------------------------

What kind of darkness does Jesus warn us to avoid? It is the darkness of unbelief and rejection – not only of the Son who came into the world to save itJesus exhorts his followers to walk in the light lest the darkness overtake them. He has come to show us how God wishes us to live so that we can enjoy eternal light with him.

The word of God grew and multiplied as the apostles carried out their mission and today we have another example to follow of St Peter Chanel’s faithfulness to the word of God and his own mission in life.

----------------------------

"Lord, we pray that you will give us the spirit of these missionaries. The nations of the earth are so much in need of a light to guide them as we confront the problems of poverty, injustice and the environmental threats to the whole world, all of which need the enlightenment of knowing God’s ways for their solution. May God be gracious to us and make his face shine upon us and let all peoples praise him."

No comments: