Thursday, April 22, 2010

He brings us to life

John 6:44-51

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Not that any one has seen the Father except him who is from God; he has seen the Father. Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

------------------------

Jesus is the bridge between God and us. He elevates our humanness that we might reach for heights we would never have hoped to otherwise. When we receive the Eucharist we receive the stuff of life. Jesus tells us: "The bread that I shall give is my flesh, for the life of the world." When we partake of the bread of life, and when we believe, we taste the joy to come.

Jesus is our assurance, our comfort, and our hope: he is our meaning and our reason for life. How can we be but joyous when we think of what we have been given. This is the Good News we share with the world: Christ has come, now we can live.

------------------------

"Lord Jesus, you are the living bread which sustains me in this life. May I always hunger for the bread which comes from heaven and find in it the nourishment and strength I need to love and serve you wholeheartedly. May I always live in the joy, peace, and unity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, both now and in the age to come."

No comments: