Monday, March 1, 2010

‘Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.’

Today's Readings

This is perhaps one of the most disturbing, unsettling yet challenging and inspiring passages in the gospels. While we can all go about doing our best, being good, it’s hard not to fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others and ask why others should get away with their transgressions while we are struggling to walk the straight and narrow path. It’s a tough call.

God’s mercy is all-embracing and God’s love doesn’t make distinctions between saint and sinner. Today’s gospel tells us to follow that mercy by not judging others. This doesn’t mean being blind to the genuine faults of others, but to accept that perhaps we are no better in God’s eyes. Only God knows enough to make a final judgment. It takes courage to love mercifully when, all about us, the world is quick to point the finger.

"Lord Jesus, your love brings freedom and pardon. Fill me with your Holy Spirit and set my heart free that nothing may make me lose my temper, ruffle my peace, take away my joy, nor make me bitter towards anyone."

No comments: