Friday, February 22, 2008

Saturday, 01 March 2008

March 1, 2008
Saturday of the Third Week of Lent

Reading 1

Hos 6:1-6

“Come, let us return to the LORD,
it is he who has rent, but he will heal us;
he has struck us, but he will bind our wounds.
He will revive us after two days;
on the third day he will raise us up,
to live in his presence.
Let us know, let us strive to know the LORD;
as certain as the dawn is his coming,
and his judgment shines forth like the light of day!
He will come to us like the rain,
like spring rain that waters the earth.”

What can I do with you, Ephraim?
What can I do with you, Judah?
Your piety is like a morning cloud,
like the dew that early passes away.
For this reason I smote them through the prophets,
I slew them by the words of my mouth;
For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice,
and knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

Responsorial Psalm
51:3-4, 18-19, 20-21ab

R. (see Hosea 6:6) It is mercy I desire, and not sacrifice.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.
R. It is mercy I desire, and not sacrifice.
For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
R. It is mercy I desire, and not sacrifice.
Be bountiful, O LORD, to Zion in your kindness
by rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem;
Then shall you be pleased with due sacrifices,
burnt offerings and holocausts.
R. It is mercy I desire, and not sacrifice.

Gospel
Lk 18:9-14

Jesus addressed this parable
to those who were convinced of their own righteousness
and despised everyone else.
“Two people went up to the temple area to pray;
one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector.
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself,
‘O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity
greedy, dishonest, adulterous or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week,
and I pay tithes on my whole income.’
But the tax collector stood off at a distance
and would not even raise his eyes to heaven
but beat his breast and prayed,
‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’
I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former;
for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled,
and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

MISPLACED CONFIDENCE

"What can I do with you, Ephraim? What can I do with you, Judah?"–Hosea 6:4

The Israelite worshipers sang a hymn which expressed their confidence that God would respond favorably to their offerings and sacrifices: "He will heal us...He will bind our wounds...He will raise us up, to live in His presence...as certain as the dawn is His coming" (Hos 6:1-3). Jesus painted a similar picture in today's Gospel reading. The Pharisee offered sacrifices of tithes, fasting, and a life of holy deeds (Lk 18:11-12). Just as his ancestors did, he prayed confidently to God, offering another splendid sacrifice of prayer and holiness. The Israelites and Pharisee in the readings were confident that God was delighted with offerings and prayers. However, God reacts to these beautiful hymns and prayers with frustration and disgust! He laments: "What can I do with you?" (Hos 6:4)

We are right to approach God confidently. The Lord approves this attitude (see 2 Cor 3:12; 5:6-8). However, when we place our confidence in the power of our own efforts to move God, we are "like a morning cloud...that early passes away" (Hos 6:4). We fade away and God is left to exclaim: "What can I do with you?" (Hos 6:4)

However, when we place all our confidence in Him and none in ourselves (Lk 18:13), then we truly have knowledge of God (Hos 6:6). Now God can say to us: "What can I do with you? I will do with you greater works than Jesus Himself did" (see Jn 14:12).

No comments: