Tuesday, January 15, 2008

St. Fabian , St. Sebastian

Sunday, 20 January 2008

2nd Sunday in Ordinary time

Book of Isaiah 49,3.5-6.

You are my servant, he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory. For now the LORD has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb, That Jacob may be brought back to him and Israel gathered to him; And I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD, and my God is now my strength! It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.


Psalms 40,2.4.7-8.8-9.10.

I waited, waited for the LORD; who bent down and heard my cry, And put a new song in my mouth, a hymn to our God. Many shall look on in awe and they shall trust in the LORD. sacrifice and offering you do not want; but ears open to obedience you gave me. Holocausts and sin-offerings you do not require; so I said, "Here I am; your commands for me are written in the scroll. so I said, "Here I am; your commands for me are written in the scroll. To do your will is my delight; my God, your law is in my heart!" I announced your deed to a great assembly; I did not restrain my lips; you, LORD, are my witness.


First Letter to the Corinthians 1,1-3.

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, to the church of God that is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 1,29-34.

The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.' I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel." John testified further, saying, "I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.' Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."


TITLE INSURANCE

"Look! There is the Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world." –John 1:29

The Holy Spirit inspired St. John to pack his Gospel with titles of Jesus. Praying and praising Jesus by speaking His titles and meditating upon them is great insurance against taking Jesus for granted. It's a great way to deepen our relationship with Him.

Among other titles, John refers to Jesus as:

  • the Word of God (Jn 1:1) and Word-Made-Man (Jn 1:14),
  • "Lamb of God" (Jn 1:29),
  • God's "Chosen One" (Jn 1:34),
  • Rabbi, (and also Teacher) (Jn 1:38),
  • "the Messiah" (Jn 1:41),
  • Son of God and King of Israel (Jn 1:18, 49),
  • "the Son of Man" (Jn 1:51),
  • "the Bread of Life" (Jn 6:35, 48),
  • "Light of the World" (Jn 8:12),
  • "I AM" (Jn 8:28; see also Ex 3:14),
  • "Lord" (Jn 9:38),
  • "Good Shepherd" (Jn 10:11, 14),
  • "the Resurrection and the Life" (Jn 11:25),
  • "the Way, and the Truth, and the Life" (Jn 14:6),
  • "the Vine" (Jn 15:5),
  • "the King of the Jews" (Jn 19:19), and
  • "my Lord and my God!" (Jn 20:28)

There are many other Scriptural titles of Jesus. These titles combat deception and encourage truth. Praise Jesus by His titles

No comments: