Saturday, October 20, 2007

St. Irene, St. Paul of the Cross

Saturday of the Twenty-eighth week in Ordinary Time

Commentary of the day
Acts of the martyrs Carpus : "Everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge."

Reading

Rm 4,13.16-18.
It was not through the law that the promise was made to Abraham and his descendants that he would inherit the world, but through the righteousness that comes from faith. For this reason, it depends on faith, so that it may be a gift, and the promise may be guaranteed to all his descendants, not to those who only adhere to the law but to those who follow the faith of Abraham, who is the father of all of us, as it is written, "I have made you father of many nations." He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into being what does not exist. He believed, hoping against hope, that he would become "the father of many nations," according to what was said, "Thus shall your descendants be."

Ps 105(104),6-7.8-9.42-43.
You descendants of Abraham his servant, offspring of Jacob the chosen one! The LORD is our God who rules the whole earth. He remembers forever his covenant, the pact imposed for a thousand generations, Which was made with Abraham, confirmed by oath to Isaac, For he remembered his sacred word to Abraham his servant. He brought his people out with joy, his chosen ones with shouts of triumph.

Lk 12,8-12.
I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever denies me before others will be denied before the angels of God. Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven. When they take you before synagogues and before rulers and authorities, do not worry about how or what your defense will be or about what you are to say. For the holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say."

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day

Acts of the martyrs Carpus, Papylus and Agathonice (3rd century)
(trans. Herbert Musurillo; © Oxford University press)

"Everyone who acknowledges me before others the Son of Man will acknowledge."

In the time of the Emperor Decius, Optimus was proconsul at Pergamum. There
were brought before him the blessed Carpus, bishop of Gados, and the deacon
Papylus of Thyatira, witnesses of Christ. The proconsul said to Carpus:
-What is your name?
- My first and most distinctive name is that of Christian, but if you want
my name in the world, it is Carpus.
- You are surely aware of the emperors' decrees regarding the obligation of
venerating the gods who govern all things. And so I suggest that you come
forward and offer sacrifice.
- I am a Christian and I venerate Christ the Son of God who has come in
these latter times for our redemption, and has delivered us from the
deceits of the Devil. I will not sacrifice to such idols as these.
- Sacrifice to the gods as the Emperor decrees.
- May the gods be destroyed, who have not made heaven and earth.
- You must offer sacrifice. These are the emperor's orders.
- The living do not offer sacrifice to the dead.
- Do the gods seem dead to you?'
- Yes, and learn why this is so. They look like men, but they are
unfeeling. Deprive them of your veneration, and, since they are unfeeling,
they will be defiled by dogs and crows.
- You must sacrifice. Have pity on yourself.
- I do have pity on myself, choosing as 1 do the better part.
After this exchange, the proconsul ordered him to be hung up… and scraped with claws.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Then the proconsul turned to Pamfilus to interrogate him.
- Are you a magistrate?
- No, I am not.
- What are you then? Tell me.
- I am a citizen.
- Do you have children?
- Many, indeed. But when he said this, someone in the crowd shouted out: 'He means he has
children in virtue of the faith of the Christians.
- Why do you lie saying that you have children?
- Would you like to understand that I do not lie but that I am telling the truth? I have children in the Lord in every town and city.
- Will you sacrifice? Or what have you to say?
- I have served God from my youth and I have never offered sacrifice to idols. Rather, I immolate myself to the living and true God, who has power over all flesh. But you will hear nothing further from me. He too was hung up and scraped. Three pairs of torturers were employed but Papylus did not utter a sound. Like a noble athlete he received the angry onslaught of his adversary in great silence… The proconsul ordered them to be burnt alive… In the amphitheatre the bystanders saw that Carpus smiled. Amazed they said to him: 'What are you laughing at?' And the blessed one said: 'I saw the glory of the Lord and I was happy. Besides I am now rid of you and have no share in your sins.'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a woman named Agathonice standing there who saw the glory of the Lord, as Carpus said he had seen it. Realizing that this was a call from heaven, she raised her voice at once: ‘Here is a meal that has been prepared for me… I am christian. I have never sacrifice to demons, but to God alone. If I am worthy, I shall eagerly desire to follow the footsteps of my teachers.’ The proconsul said to her: ‘Sacrifice, lest I sentence you to a similar death.’

- Do what you will. But this is what I have come for, and this is what I am prepared for, to die for Christ’s name.

And when she was led to the spot, Agathonice removed her clothing and threw herself joyfully upon the stake. But when the crowd saw how beautiful she was, they lamented, saying: ‘It is a terrible sentence; these are unjust decrees.’ As soon as she was touched by the fire she shouted aloud three times: ‘Lord, Lord, Lord, assist me! For you are my refuge.’ These were her final words.

No comments: